Before you celebrate Earth Hour, before you participate in a Yamuna Clean Drive or even before you go to participate in a Green Marathon, it is important for each one of us to display a sense of self-discipline in saving the ailing environment for which there are no Band-Aid solutions possible.
Switching your lights off for an hour each year and wasting electricity the entire year won’t address the problem.
Nor our sweeping of road unless we stop throwing things & spitting out of our “German-made” cars (Some people literally don’t deserve to drive them..!!).
While the real onus is on each of us to find the solutions which we can imbibe in our daily routine. Here I am listing a few which I follow:
- Replace your home lighting fixtures with LED bulbs especially in toilets, bathrooms etc. small places where luminous intensity is not a major concern. They are now available as cheap as Rs 50 from Lagpat Rai Market, Chandni Chowk.
- While making tea, always add sugar, tea leaves etc. after the water starts boiling. This can save you a bit of LPG because the boiling point of water increases after adding all these ingredients and thus more energy is required. Needless to say, prepare it with lid on the vessel. It not only saves energy but time too.
- A common one, don’t waste water while washing hand. The interval between you press the liquid soap plunger and get your hands back under tap is crucial. If you are right-handed, you can use your right hand to open and close tap and left one to have liquid soap, and then rub them on both hands. 😀
- Switching off lights of your rooms when you leave them, in home and, also in schools and colleges. The cost may be incurred by Government but environment is ultimately yours. (And govt. too.:P).
- Recycling any plastic box by using it for flower case or pen stand..anyway you like..Let your creativity unfold.
I would update this list as I imbibe more techniques in my daily rountine.
It would be great if you can share the tips that you follow in the comments section.